Sunday, May 23, 2010

blah blah blah...taxes....general ledger...blah...tort feasor...blah...wait, TORT FEASOR?!?!

I am currently studying to become an accountant. By the end of 2010 I will have a Master's in Science in Accountancy. I start a job at an accounting firm in Charlotte in January where I hope to keep my post for at least a few years. Unfortunately, I hate accounting.

As you can imagine, such hatred makes accounting school slightly unexciting. Luckily, every so often a cool new term pops up in the curriculum that sends me into imaginative spirals of short-lived amusement. It's too bad that none of the words actually mean what they sound like. Below I have provided two such examples, their disappointing definitions, and, more importantly, what I think they should mean.

TORT FEASOR

Actually Means: Someone who commits a civil wrong (Thanks, Business Law).

What It Sounds Like It Should Mean: Someone who uses complicated geometric logistics to fit a very large fruit-filled pastry through a very small doorway.

When Google Image Searched:







Hmm...so, in case we needed more clarity on what a tort feasor really is, our friends at the Google image search have narrowed it down to: someone's grandparents at a war re-enactment site, a pregnancy test, or a doggy behind a fence. That really clears it up! Thanks, Google!


TIPPY PASSER:


Actually Means: A stupid mnemonic* device used by the Becker CPA Exam prep lecturers to help remember the general, fieldwork, and reporting standards for attestation services (the details of which would put anyone to sleep, except hopefully me during the CPA exam section I am taking two days from now).

What It Sounds Like It Should Mean: 1. A quarterback sitting Indian-style on one of those flying-saucer sleds; 2. One whom communicates from one party to the next really small and insignificant pieces of advice; 3. A teenager walking stealthily on their toes past their sleeping father in a recliner circa 2 a.m. on a school night.

When Google Image Searched:








WHAT?!?!?!

And here we all thought nothing about accounting was funny...



*Fun fact: I Googled "mnemonic device" because I couldn't REMEMBER how to spell it. A mnemonic device is designed to make memory of large lists or ordered items simpler, yet the word itself is both overly complex and impossible to recreate from memory. WHY!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment